Hi! I’m Sue Mitchell.

I’m here to be your Memoir Muse.

That means I will inspire you to finally work consistently on your memoir project. I teach methods that make the creative process feel manageable. At An Untold Story, you’ll get the tools, support and confidence you need to succeed.

10 Things to Know About Sue

1.  I grew up in the New Jersey suburbs, but my love of the outdoors sent me packing first chance I got. I moved out west and never went back…except for my summers on a lake in New Hampshire every single year, without fail (Update: Ugh! I failed in 2020 due to the pandemic.) We all have a physical home and a heart home. Sometimes they’re the same, and sometimes they’re not. New Hampshire is my heart home, but I’ve been living in Colorado for the last 27 years.

 2.  I taught 28 years in the public schools. Most of that time I was a gifted education specialist — I somehow weaseled my way into a teaching gig where I designed my own curriculum and guided students through creative projects. This is how I honed my ability to simplify information and creative processes to make them feel manageable.

3.  A turning point in my life was training with Jill Badonsky to become a certified Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coach in 2010. See #4. 

4.  I’ve spent 85% of my life avoiding, resisting, self-sabotaging, and procrastinating and the other 15% learning how to overcome these and helping others do the same using Kaizen-Muse Creativity Coaching tools.

5.  I wrote my first book in fifth grade, a spooky novella called The Return of Rena Tutler. Nowadays, I write short memoir pieces and articles on the creative process. My writing credits also include co-authoring the book Take Your Wings and Fly, the inspiring life story of Denise Horn. 

6.  I’ve made independence and introversion an art form. I totally get the appeal of trying to do everything on your own and being all lone-eagley. I’ve also learned what a difference a trusted helpmate can make. Because of this, I’m a great fit for clients who are looking for a balance of self-study and support.

7.  I am in love with the memoir writing process. Even if no one but you ever reads your story, I believe the process of writing it will benefit you in countless ways. Sharing it amplifies the benefits even more. I’m on a mission to provide the tools, support, and confidence that frustrated or floundering memoir writers need to succeed.

8.  I know you have a story worth telling. It’s my strong belief that you have a right to share your experience and perspective and be heard. I love how people light up when they get to share their story. One of my favorite aspects of working with memoir writers is helping them realize the larger significance to their story and see themselves as the hero of their own lives.

9.  I am a nature girl, having spent more nights sleeping under the stars than I can count, lived on the road for 9 months, and explored slot canyons, mountains, beaches and rivers all over North America. I place a high value on naturalness as a general way of being in the world. Not into pretense or fakery. What you see is what you get. I invite you to be yourself and let go of the voices in your head that tell you to be someone else or do things a certain way. Memoir work is a great way to get to know who you really are.

10.  I am a sap. I love traveling down Memory Lane, looking through old photos and letters, reconnecting with old friends, and listening to oldies music. At the same time, I’ve been an early adopter of technological advances and believe in social progress. I’m not someone who says, “Well, when I was a kid, we rode three to a bike with no helmet while eating DDT-laced food, but we respected our elders and turned out okay!” Times change. I’m cool with that. But I do love reminiscing. Join me in the adventure of reflecting on our lives!


































Pin It on Pinterest